Admissions Counselor Responsibilities:
· Assisting students in universities, colleges, and high schools to help them prepare for, select, and get into schools.
· Highlighting the benefits of specific schools, programs, and courses in order to attract students and encourage diversity on campus.
· Helping students choose courses and extracurricular activities that will help them get into their chosen colleges or careers after graduation.
· Staying current with school admission processes and requirements, school programs, majors, and courses, and developments in education and financial aid.
· Organizing recruiting events and representing schools at college fairs, high schools, and other promotional opportunities.
· Conducting interviews, reviewing application materials, and assisting in the admissions decision making process.
· Arranging campus tours and conducting information sessions.
· Developing and maintaining an active alumni network to plan events, help students find opportunities in their fields, and obtain funding.
· Maintaining accurate and current knowledge of educational legislation, trends, developments, and resources.
Graduate/ Graduate in education.
Admissions Counselor Requirements:
· Master’s degree in Education or relevant field.
· Experience in college admissions may be preferred.
· Familiarity with college and university programs, majors, admissions requirements and processes, and scholarship and financial aid resources.
· Excellent active listening, verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
· Strong planning and people reading skills.
· Ability to multitask and stay organized.
· Willingness to guide others and provide ongoing support as they make important decisions.
Admissions Counselor Job Duties:
· Develops a network of alumni by identifying and training successful alumni willing to help recruit students; coordinating the network's activities.
· Develops a profile of students attracted to the college by conducting research; interviewing applicants; designing questionnaires for current students; analyzing questionnaire results; conducting focus groups.
· Evaluates recruitment techniques by determining the effectiveness of each recruitment technique used by admissions; discerning the appeal of admissions literature; defining the expectations of the college to be instilled in incoming students by the admissions staff.
· Recruits students by visiting high schools; visiting community colleges and technological institutions.
· Welcomes prospective students by processing paperwork; interviewing applicants; arranging and conducting campus tours; conducting follow-up activities such as letter writing and phone-calling campaigns.
· Maintains recruiting operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes.
· Completes projects by identifying and implementing new technology and resources; redesigning systems.
· Improves quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; implementing changes.
· Avoids legal challenges by complying with legal requirements.
· Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
· Enhances admissions department and university reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.